When you receive care, treatment and services from BC Emergency Health Services (including its programs the BC Ambulance Service and BC Patient Transfer Network) we collect personal information from you.
Information is collected by BCEHS directly from you or from others from the time of contacting dispatch to the time you receive care and/or transferred as authorized under 26(c) and 26 (e) of the
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act ("FIPPA").
We collect, use and share your personal information for these reasons:
- to provide care and support
- to help us plan, maintain and improve our care and services
- to assure quality of care
- for education and training
- to do research with consent or as permitted by law
- to see if you are eligible for benefits and services and to arrange billing
- to help measure and fund healthcare
- to confirm your identity (e.g. Ministry of Health Services)
- as required by law (e.g. court order or for some reportable conditions) and as authorized by FIPPA
If you have questions or concerns about the collection of information by BCEHS, please contact:
Director of Risk Management
BC Emergency Health Services
PO Box 9600 Stn Prov Govt Victoria, BC V8W 9P1
General questions and answers about the
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act may be found on the website of the
Office of the Information & Privacy Commissioner for British Columbia.