BCEHS is committed to providing excellence in integrated healthcare. We are actively involved in advancing the science of paramedic care through research and exploration.
To date, BCEHS has been involved in a large number of research and quality improvement projects involving all aspects of pre-hospital care, including:
- Out-of-hospital cardiac arrest
- Palliative care
- Pediatric and neonatal care
- Extracorporeal cardiopulmonary resuscitation (ECMO)
- Paramedic and crew resource management
- Airway management
- Flight and critical care
- Clinical pathways – “Treat and Refer”
- Community paramedicine
- STEMI (ST elevation myocardial infarction) & acute coronary syndrome
BCEHS is involved in a large number of research and quality improvement projects, involving all aspects of pre-hospital care. The following published scientific research manuscripts involve BCEHS paramedics as both authors and researchers:
- Rowell, S., Tallon, J., Schlamp, R., et al. (2020). Effect of Out-of-Hospital Tranexamic Acid vs Placebo on 6-Month Functional Neurological Outcomes in Patients with Moderate of Severe Traumatic Brain Injury. JAMA. 2020;324(10):961-974.
- Grunau, B., Bal., Sheuermeyer, F., Guh, D., Dainty, K., Helmer, J., Saini, S., Chakrabarti, A., Broor, N., Sidhu, N., Barbic, D., Christenson, J., Chakrabarti, S., (2020). Bystanders are less willing to resuscitate out-of-hospital cardiac arrest victims during the COVID-19 pandemic. Resuscitation Plus Journal 4.
- Sinden, S., Heidet, M., Scheuermeyer, F., Kawano, T., Helmer, J., Christenson, J., Grunau, B. (2020). The association of scene-access delay and survival with favourable neurological status in patients with out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Resuscitation Journal. October 155 (211-218).
- Olsen, O., Greene, A., Makrides, T., Delport, A. (2020). Large-Scale Air Medical Operations in the Age of Coronavirus Disease 2019: Early Leadership Lessons from the Front Lines of British Columbia. Air Medical Journal (2020) 1-3.
- Heidet, M., Fraticelli, L., Grunau, B., Cheskes, B., Baert, J., Vilhelm, C., Hubert, H., Tazarourte, K., Vaillancourt, C., Tallon, J., Christenson, J., El Khoury C., on behalf of the Gr-ReAC CanROC investigators. ReACanROC: Towards the creation of a France Canada research network for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Resuscitation Journal 152 (2020) 133-140.
- Armour, R. Helmer, J. & Deakin, J. (2020). Paramedic intubation during a pandemic: Where are the consensus guidelines? Australasian Journal of Paramedicine, 17.
- Helmer, J., Acker, J., Deakin, J., Johnston, T. (2020). Canadian paramedic experience with intramuscular ketamine for extreme agitation: A quality improvement initiative. Australasian Journal of Paramedicine, 17.
- Makrides, T. (2020) - The structure and characteristics of Anglo-American paramedic systems in developed countries: A scoping review protocol. Australasian Journal of Paramedicine, 17.
- Baranowski, L., & Armour, R., (2020) - Do non-rotational ambulance-based placements affect the development of paramedic competencies from a student perspective? A qualitative study. Australasian Journal of Paramedicine, 17.
- Brittain, M., Michel, C., Baranowski, L., Armour, R., Helmer, J., Poll, A. (2020) - Community paramedicine in British Columbia: A virtual response to COVID-19. Australasian Journal of Paramedicine, 17.
- Tallon, J., Zheng, L., Wei, J., Dick, W., Papadopoulos, G., Djurdjev, O. (2020) Population-based analysis of the effect of a comprehensive, systematic change in an emergency medical services resource allocation plan on 24-hour mortality. Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine. January 22(1):86- 94.
- Armour, R.; Baranowsk, L. (2020). Esmolol for the treatment of refractory ventricular fibrillation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Irish Journal of Paramedicine, [S.l.], v. 4, n. 2, jan. 2020. ISSN 2009-938X.