Skip to main content

Advanced Care Paramedic FAQs

Criminal record search results are examined on a case by case basis, with each offence reviewed by the BCAS to assess whether the offence impacts the ability of an individual to perform the role of paramedic.


Driver’s Abstracts are reviewed on a case by case basis to assess the impact it may have on an individual’s ability to perform the role of paramedic.


The Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board (EMALB) issues licenses to individuals who have successfully completed a recognized EMR, PCP or ACP training program.

BCAS is the employer of paramedics. The Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board (EMALB) is a Government body that oversees the licensing and examination of BCAS paramedics (i.e. issues licenses to BCAS paramedics). While there is a close working relationship between these two organizations, they are two separate entities.

For immunization as an Advanced Care Paramedic the required vaccines are:


Measle/Mumps/Rubella x 2 doses


Tetnus/Diptheria primary series + booster every 10 years


Polio primary series (and one time booster if at risk for Fecal exposure)


Hep B series, plus lab work showing immunity.


Agencies that offer training programs recognized by the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board (EMALB) for each paramedic license level are available on the EMALB website.


BCAS accepts applications from paramedics who hold a paramedic license in British Columbia and who are eligible to work in Canada. Information on the employment qualifications and the application process can be found on our website.

Questions regarding license qualifications can be directed to the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board (EMALB).

If you are interested in working only in BC, you may be eligible for the BC Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), which offers accelerated immigration for qualified skilled workers and experienced entrepreneurs who wish to settle in BC and become permanent residents of Canada. For more information contact:

BC Provincial Nominee Program Office
800 – 360 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 6B2 Canada
Phone: 604-775-2227
Fax: 604-660-4092


While BCAS does not have a volunteer program, those interested in pursuing a volunteer paramedic opportunity are encouraged to contact the St. John’s Ambulance Service regarding their Medical First Responder program.


The Ambulance Paramedics of BC – CUPE Local 873, represents all of the paramedics, Emergency Medical Dispatchers, quality improvement coordinators and Regional Training Officers employed by BCAS.

Advanced Care Paramedics (ACP) are senior practioners within BC Ambulance Service. Most of the career opportunities exist in Vancouver but there are vacancies in Prince George. ACP’s career opportunities in Kamloops, Kelowna, Victoria and Nanaimo are normally filled through transfers of qualified employees currently working for BCAS.


Yes, all new ACPs work in full-time positions and are designated as Irregularly Scheduled Employees.


Irregularly Scheduled employees fill work vacancies that cannot be predicted such as short term book offs, training, Continued Education (CE), extended sick leave, WCB and other leaves that may be paid, or unpaid by the Employer.

Paramedic training is offered by a number of educational institutions throughout British Columbia. The accredited institutions that offer training within the province can be found on the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board (EMALB) website.

Yes, in 2007 the Ministry of Health Services established the Emergency Medical Assistants Education Fund, an over $5 million dollar bursary program to support students enrolled in EMA programs accredited by the Canadian Medical Association (CMA) and approved by the EMA Licensing Board. Further information on this bursary program is available on the Justice Institute of BC website


The Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board (EMALB) is responsible to issue paramedic licenses within the province of British Columbia. If you hold a valid EMA licence in another province or territory, you can get a licence in B.C. without further training or experience. You are required to successfully complete the B.C. jurisprudence exam which is administered by the EMALB. 

The EMALB’s website has all of the information on the steps you need to take to obtain your paramedic license in B.C.


Please contact the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board (EMALB) to apply for an ACP license in British Columbia. Information regarding the BC licensing process can be found on the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board (EMALB) website.


If possible, we suggest that you complete your program and write your ACP exam in Ontario. Once you have obtained your Ontario ACP license you can then apply to the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board (EMALB) for your BC ACP license.

In this instance the EMALB will require you to submit your paperwork and challenge the Jurisprudence Exam.

If this is not feasible, you can complete your program in Ontario and write your ACP exam in BC. In this instance the EMALB will require you to submit your paperwork and challenge a comprehensive ACP written and practical exam.


BCAS supports new ACPs joining the Service through the ACP Residency Program, an initiative that pairs each new candidate with an experienced ACP who introduces and orients them to the BCAS, guides and supports them in field practice and shares experience and knowledge through a variety of interactive learning situations.

Learn more about the ACP Residency Program Overview.


SOURCE: Advanced Care Paramedic FAQs ( )
Page printed: . Unofficial document if printed. Please refer to SOURCE for latest information.

Copyright © BC Emergency Health Services. All Rights Reserved.

    Copyright © 2021 Provincial Health Services Authority.