Skip to main content

Emergency Medical Responder FAQs

Criminal record search results are examined on a case by case basis, with each offence reviewed by the BC Ambulance Service to assess whether the offence impacts the ability of an individual to perform the role of paramedic.

Driver’s abstracts are reviewed on a case by case basis to assess the impact they may have on an individual’s ability to perform the role of paramedic.


In select rural and remote stations there may be opportunities for ‘driver only’ positions; however, preference is given to applicants with an EMR or PCP licence. To be considered for ‘driver only’ opportunities, you must have a Class 1, 2 or 4 BC driver’s licence. If you would like to discuss ‘driver only’ opportunities, please contact PHSA Talent Acquisition’s BCAS Careers Help Desk at or phone 1-877-577-2227.


The Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board (EMALB) issues licences to individuals who have successfully completed a recognized EMR, PCP or ACP training program.


The BC Ambulance Service (BCAS) is the employer of paramedics. The Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board (EMALB) is a government body that oversees the licensing and examination of BCAS paramedics (i.e. issues licences to BCAS paramedics). While there is a close working relationship between these two organizations, they are two separate entities.


For immunization as an Emergency Medical Responder the required vaccines are:


Measle/Mumps/Rubella x 2 doses


Tetnus/Diptheria primary series + booster every 10 years


Polio primary series (and one time booster if at risk for Fecal exposure)


Hep B series, plus lab work showing immunity.


Agencies that offer training programs recognized by the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board (EMALB) for each paramedic licence level are available on the EMALB website.


The BC Ambulance Service accepts applications from paramedics who hold a paramedic licence in British Columbia and who are eligible to work in Canada. Information on the employment qualifications and the application process can be found on our website.

Questions regarding licence qualifications can be directed to the Emergency Medical Assistants Licensing Board (EMALB).

If you are interested in working only in BC, you may be eligible for the BC Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), which offers accelerated immigration for qualified skilled workers and experienced entrepreneurs who wish to settle in BC and become permanent residents of Canada. For more information contact:

BC Provincial Nominee Program Office
800 – 360 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 6B2 Canada
Phone: 604-775-2227
Fax: 604-660-4092


While the BC Ambulance Service does not have a volunteer program, those interested in pursuing a volunteer paramedic opportunity are encouraged to contact the St. John’s Ambulance Service regarding their medical first responder program.


The Ambulance Paramedics of BC – CUPE Local 873, represents all of the paramedics, emergency medical dispatchers, quality improvement coordinators and regional training officers employed by the BC Ambulance Service.


Most new BC Ambulance Service paramedics are hired as on-call, part-time employees. On-call, part-time work varies depending on the community, so most employees live within easy access to the ambulance station. During on-call shifts, employees are required to carry a pager, at which time they have the freedom to pursue other work and activities. When called out, pay increases to the full paramedic hourly rate.


On-call, part-time employees are required to be available for a minimum of eight shifts per month where a shift is normally 12 hours.


Yes. Simply complete one BC Ambulance Service Application for Employment Form and submit it to PHSA Talent Acquisition’s BCAS Careers Help Desk via email to or by mail to:

BCAS Careers
260-1770 W. 7th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6J 4Y6

On the application form you will be asked to indicate the stations for which you would like to be considered as opportunities arise. Current opportunities may be posted under BCEHS Job Postings


Yes, you can apply to the BC Ambulance Service at the EMR licence level and your resume will be considered for opportunities in communities that accept applications for EMR positions. Current opportunities may be posted under BCEHS Job Postings.


Currently, you can apply for an EMR position with the BC Ambulance Service. If hired, you will begin an initial six-month probation period in the location of your first job. 

When you obtain your PCP licence, you will become classified as a PCP and can begin practising at the PCP level at your current post. 

Once you have completed your initial six-month probationary period in the location of your first job you will be eligible to apply for other PCP career opportunities within the service. Please note that the six-month probation period includes months spent practising at both the EMR and PCP level. 

Current opportunities may be posted under BCEHS Job Postings.

As each BC Ambulance Service region has different employment needs, situations such as this are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. You are encouraged to contact PHSA Talent Acquisition’s BCAS Careers Help Desk at 1-877-577-2227 or via email at, or view current opportunities posted under BCEHS Job Postings.

Employees who are hired as an EMR and pursue training as a primary care paramedic (PCP) have the opportunity to apply for PCP positions.

SOURCE: Emergency Medical Responder FAQs ( )
Page printed: . Unofficial document if printed. Please refer to SOURCE for latest information.

Copyright © BC Emergency Health Services. All Rights Reserved.

    Copyright © 2021 Provincial Health Services Authority.